Celeb Chef & Cookbook Author Bob Blumer is also an artist who fills his world with surreal works of visual deliciousness, like his Candy Cane Shrimp illustration above!
Bob Blumer and Ms. Claus got together recently to plot out a menu for St. Nick’s return from his annual worldwide gifting tour. We can only imagine how hungry he is on Christmas Day, right? Early on in the appetizer planning, the two decided they could do some gift giving themselves by sharing, in advance, Blumer’s famous ‘Shrimp on the Barbie’ recipe, with a holiday twist. The recipe comes with the option to grill or pan sear.
This is the fifth installment of Blumer’s ‘Pescatarian Holiday’ 2021 recipes series with Lloyd Cellars. If you’d like to see all of his ‘Pescatarian Holiday’ recipes, we invite you to scroll through our Online Recipes section. Shop our Online Store or utilize our Store Locator for local shopping!
Purchase Our ‘Flavor Bomb’ Gift Collection Featuring Blumer’s Latest Cookbook & Four Wines
Shrimp on the Xmas Barbie: Grilled Oaxacan Shrimp with Blistered Jalapeño Salsa Verde
Ms. Clause is prepping a warming, spicey dish for Santa's return to the North Pole!
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- ½ tablespoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients. Reserve.
- 1½ pounds uncooked 16/20 count shrimp ideally wild, or whatever size shrimp you prefer
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil + extra if pan searing
- Shell and devein shrimp.
- In a medium bowl mix all dry seasonings. Add shrimp and oil and toss to thoroughly cover shrimp. Reserve.
Blistered Jalapeno Salsa Verde
- 1 tablespoon natural oil
- 2 jalapeno chilis stemmed and halved length-wise
- 1/4 white onion layers separated
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 cup fresh cilantro lightly packed
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- In a large sauté pan over high add oil. When oil is hot, add jalapenos, onion and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes, tossing frequently, or until blistered and toasted on the outside. Let cool.
- Transfer pan contents to a blender. Add cilantro cumin, salt, vinegar and 1/3 cup of water. Puree until very smooth. Reserve.
- Preheat grill to direct high heat.
- Grill shrimp for 1-2 minutes per side, or until shrimp are marked and no longer translucent. Serve with dipping sauce.
- Open a window to avoid setting off your smoke alarm.
- Heat a large sauté pan over high heat. When it is smoking hot, add 1 – 2 tablespoons oil. Wait a beat, then add as many shrimp as pan will accommodate without overlapping. Cook for about one minute per side, or until no longer translucent.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
Advance Work: The dry rub can be made ahead and stored in a sealed jar. Make extra—it lasts almost indefinitely. Shrimp can be peeled and deveined up to a day in advance.